Wednesday, August 7, 2013

A French Education


As I noted in my #3 post from last year's Top 10, I really enjoyed my time in New York last summer, but I didn't think I'd get to come back.  But here I am.  One of my Chicago accounts has an office here, and we had a meeting scheduled for today.  We originally had plans to take the customer out to dinner, but he had to cancel, so it was just my coworker Pierre and me for the evening.  We went to a French restaurant, Felix, for dinner.  The weather was great and we had a perfect seat right by the outdoor area.  Pierre wanted escargot as an appetizer.  I'd never had it before.  I just knew it was snails, so I was a little leery, assuming it would have a gross consistency or taste, but it was actually quite good.  You can see me overdramatically eating a forkful in this picture.  For my entree I had steak tartare, which I also had never had before.  I didn't actually know what it was (I just knew I loved steak) and I was surprised when they didn't ask me how I wanted it cooked.  I later found out it's because it's always rare, so there's no reason to ask.  It was absolutely delicious.  If I have the opportunity, I will get it again, though I don't exactly go to French restaurants very often.  The restaurant had some sort of Brazilian tie-in, so they had caipirinhas available to drink, which is one of my favorite drinks.  So it was a great meal, beginning to end, and I learned that you'd better be okay with raw meat if you order a steak tartare, and that yes, I do like to eat snails.

No comments:

Post a Comment