Sunday, April 14, 2013

An AA Meeting at Church


I was fortunate enough to be raised in a Christian home, and one of the benefits of this was being exposed to a side of music that many people never hear: Christian music.  I've always preferred rock and harder music to slower music, although slower music certainly has a time and a place.  But in general, if music rocks, I like it.  Fortunately Christian music while arguably being a genre itself, has all types of musical genres within it.  Liking the upbeat stuff, I was a big fan of Petra, DC Talk, Michael W. Smith (although he has plenty of great slow stuff as well), and Audio Adrenaline.  I spent my middle school years listening to almost exclusively Christian music.  During my high school years I included secular music as well, but I still closely followed and enjoyed Christan music.  It was during this time that Audio Adrenaline released their breakout album, Don't Censor Me.  I'm not sure how many times I listened to that CD, but it was a lot.  Many, many, many times.  I also bought their next two albums, but then they kind of faded, and eventually broke up when their lead singer sustained permanent vocal cord damage.

Recently I heard a new AA song on the radio.  Apparently they re-formed with one of the guys from DC Talk as their lead singer.  And I was pretty excited when our church announced that Audio Adrenaline's tour was coming to town and that they'd be performing in concert right in our church's sanctuary!  Julie and Joanna were also fans (This was probably as least partly due to hearing their big brother play the CDs a million times.  I remember a tiny little Joanna, who was 2 or 3 at the time, singing along to the song Big House's lyric "It's my Father's house" as "It my Fahdah house!!!"  It was adorable.), so along with Kirk, we all went to the concert tonight.  The unfortunate part was they only played two songs off the first three albums, jumbled together as a quick medley, and I didn't know any of the other songs they played except for the current radio hit.  I was hoping for more of the old stuff, but probably they weren't interested in catering to the 30-somethings in the crowd since this was part of a weekend for teens at the church.   There were three opening bands.  The first was Manic Drive, and they were not good.  The second was Seventh Day Slumber.  They were a rock band, and I really enjoyed them.  I'm going to check them out and probably add some of their songs to my MP3 player.  The third band was Group 1 Crew, which is a terrible name, but they were entertaining.  They were a near-perfect Black Eyed Peas clone.  They were fun and energetic, and Julie really bonded (from a distance) with their pregnant Fergie-esque lead singer.  One of the sponsors of the concert was a Christian radio station in KC that I didn't know existed: Air1 91.9.  We listen to K-LOVE a lot, but at times I'd prefer something still Christian but a little more rock-ish, and 91.9 seems to skew that direction, so I'm excited to check them out.  So, all in all a good night. I got to spend time with my sisters and with Kirk, I saw an old favorite band of mine, and I found a possible new band to follow and a new radio station to check out.

No comments:

Post a Comment