Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Way Back Wednesday: Sporadic Greatness

If people ask me if Jason is romantic, I usually say, "Not particularly. He's more engineer than romantic". But that's not exactly true. I feel like I consistently give pretty good gifts. I usually don't give bad gifts, but maybe not super either. Whereas Jason has gotten me a couple really bad gifts. One of our first birthdays after we got married, he got me a trash can for our bathroom. I was not pleased. But every so often, he gives the absolute best and most romantic gift in the world and it more than makes up for the Christmases where I get maple bacon caramels (things I am not really crazy about include bacon, maple, and weird flavors of candy). Probably my favorite gift ever was when he surprised me with my laptop back when laptops were still a luxury item in our family. I never thought we could afford that and it was such a surprise and I loved it the entire time I had it. But definitely right up there was when he surprised me with a trip for my thirtieth birthday. I had a lot of anxiety about turning thirty and he planned this trip and didn't tell me where we were going until we were at the airport. I don't really thrive on surprises and probably would have had a nervous break down if he had stopped by my job and said, "We're going on a trip, get in the car", but this was the right amount of surprise. He took me to Pittsburgh. You might be saying, "What's in Pittsburgh?" That's what I was thinking too. But earlier that year, we had tickets to Wicked and I had a mistake on our calendar that caused us to miss the show. I was so disappointed because I really wanted to see it and it had never before come to Kansas City. The only place that Wicked was playing over my birthday weekend was Pittsburgh. So we went to Pittsburgh and ate at a nice French restaurant and, the next day, saw Wicked in downtown Pittsburgh in super good seats. The show was fantastic. I loved it. But I have seen several shows I have really enjoyed over the years. Avenue Q, Thoroughly Modern Millie, and The Lion King come to mind as favorites. And they are special to me, but this one is more because how much thought and effort Jason put into it and even though we don't have the laptop anymore and the maple bacon candy has long since been trashed, that feeling stays with me every time I think of my thirtieth birthday. Although, we actually do have that trash can still. It's in the guest bedroom. So I guess it was a durable gift.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh I laughed so hard about the trash can. I've made it pretty clear to Ryan that it's a bad idea to get a woman anything too practical/domestic for any type of celebration, although, the older I get the more excited I get about things like washers/dryers, vacuum machines, etc. so maybe I'm coming to a turning point in my life? Nah - still don't want a vacuum for my birthday.

    ReplyDelete