Thursday, September 26, 2013

Ring Bling


When I was growing up, I remember noticing my Grandpa Hall's wedding ring.  It had diamonds in it.  I also noticed my dad's wedding ring.  It also had diamonds in it.  So I grew up thinking that men's wedding rings had diamonds in them.  As I got older I learned that rings like that were in the vast minority for men's wedding rings.  Most men had solid bands, often yellow gold ones.  When it came time for me to pick out my own wedding ring, I wanted one with diamonds in it to match Dad and Grandpa Hall, and also because that was what I'd had in mind for much of my life as to what a man's wedding ring should be.  Meghan and I shopped for rings, and she suggested the one I ended up with.  It was a little more modern design than I had in mind, but it quickly grew on me, and that's the one I chose.  I've always loved it, because it matches the family tradition of rings but also because it's different than most.  The plain yellow gold band is beloved by many for its simplicity and tradition, but to me it's clichéd.  I've always felt that Meghan is someone very special and unique and different from all the other girls out there, and I like that my ring is also special and unique and different from all the other rings out there.  So it not only represents our marriage, but it represents her to me.

So I was pretty upset this January when my ring disappeared.  I was sick that day, so I was out of my normal routine and hadn't put it in its normal place, and the next day I couldn't find it anywhere.  I figured it was in the house somewhere, but I scoured everywhere and came up empty.  I hoped I would find it someday, but I sort of thought it would be years before I found it, if ever.  I bought a cheap replacement so I'd at least have a wedding ring to wear.  But earlier this week I was digging through my work backpack and found the ring at the very bottom of one of the sections.  It must have fallen off my nightstand into the backpack without my knowing it.  I'm very excited to have it back.  This particular ring is special, and no replacement could ever match it, so hopefully I'll still have this exact ring on my finger for the rest of my life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment