Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Take Him Out to the Ball Game


June is my month with Joshua for our Father/Son outing.  He has been totally obsessed with baseball lately, so I decided to take him to a baseball game.  Going to a Royals game would be a little much at this point, but I thought a T-Bones game would be perfect.  The team was on the road recently, so our June date ended up being today, in July.  When we first got there, Joshua was ecstatic to see a real baseball, bat, and gloves being used on the field during warm-ups, but he was quickly distracted by the kid-magnet aura that surrounds Sizzle, the mascot.  He'd never seen Sizzle before but instantly was mesmerized by him.  I mentioned to Joshua that we might be able to hug Sizzle or give him a high five.  We soon saw Sizzle a few rows ahead of us, so we got a picture with him.  I thought it was going to be all three of us looking at the camera, but only when I looked at it later did I see Joshua unable to concentrate on anything other than the amazingness of Sizzle such that you can barely see him in the picture.  We sat down, but Joshua soon said "Hug Sizzle!", and I remembered that I had mentioned that earlier but we hadn't done it.  But by then Sizzle had roamed away to be adored by children elsewhere in the ballpark, but we caught up to him later and got a better picture, and, of course, a hug.  After eating our hot dog and cheeseburger, we later wandered out to the grass beyond the outfield, and we enjoyed some cotton candy.  They also had a playground area back there that Joshua loved, even though he was the smallest kid in an utter swarm of bigger kids running and sliding and swinging.  We finished with some Dippin' Dots and then stopped by the souvenir shop to buy him a real T-Bones baseball to commemorate our first father/son baseball game.  It was a really special day, and I hope it is the first of many baseball games that we attend together.

2 comments:

  1. Looks like you hit a home run on your dad/son outing idea! What a fun time for you both. I can't believe how grown up Joshua looks in his new haircut. What a memorable day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent Jason. Personally I always enjoyed the T-Bones more than than the Royals. It's more fun for me. If you come out here during baseball season we can go to Pensacola. They have a team there as well.

    ReplyDelete