Saturday, October 19, 2013

Date Day: A Big Shovel, Chipotle, and Whiffle Ball


Today was a date day for me with Joshua.  We went out through the garage, and on the way out he noticed a shovel.  He has played with small shovels before, and he thinks they're the greatest things ever, so I think he could hardly believe the glorious gigantic shovel before his eyes.  I told him we needed to go, but he kept telling me he wanted to play with the "big shovel".  It went: "Joshua, we need to go."  "No, Joshua want play big shovel." over and over.  I realized my plans for the day were kind of loose anyway, so I decided why not let him play with the big shovel.  So I got it out for him, and brought him over to the mulch in front of our house and let him go to town (fortunately I'm not one of those guys who's super picky about his landscaping).

We then went to Chipotle for lunch.  Chipotle is just about the tastiest food you can get in a restaurant, yet somehow Meghan doesn't appreciate its brilliance, so I thought this would be a good opportunity for us to have it.  Joshua had a quesadilla with rice, beans, and chocolate milk.  We then went to the new sporting goods store in town, Academy Sports + Outdoors.  Joshua enjoyed seeing all the different types of sporting equipment.  I tried to buy him a mini soccer ball that was on clearance, but he said he didn't want it.  That was disappointing.

It was a beautiful day this afternoon, so we went to the park to play with some sporting equipment (though sadly, not a new mini soccer ball).  I brought several types of balls, but Joshua only wanted to play baseball, of course.  So we spent our remaining time with him slugging whiffle balls across the open grassy area in rather impressive fashion.  He also wanted to use the bigger kid bat instead of the short stubby one that they make for little kids.

I, too, happen to love whiffle ball, so I couldn't resist taking a few hacks myself.  Apparently, though, the balls were not made to be hit by adults.  I crushed a few deep into the distant green grass (and a few not very far at all.  Give me a break, I'm old.), only to notice that I had put a giant dent in one of the balls.  The dent was centered around what should have been my first clue that it wasn't made for me: a label saying "Little Tykes".  Oh well.  After we were out of time (Joshua really did hit the vast majority of the time, not me), we walked back to the car over a rock path that the city of Olathe decided to spend a ton of money on when building the park.  Joshua loved the big rocks and threw many of them as we walked along even though they probably weigh not too much less than he does.  It was another fun father/son day.

No comments:

Post a Comment