Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Way Back Wednesday: School Photos

My main reason for this post is so I can share Joshua's school photos.
Isn't he handsome? But since we try not to have posts where the whole point is my children's extreme attractiveness (though from a completely biased view, I think it's a key part of many of our posts :-) ), I thought I would share some school pictures. I was expecting his to have a fake background and poor lighting, just like they did when I was a kid.
I don't have that many of my school photos for some reason. This is the oldest one I could find and is from 2nd grade. Apparently I wasn't very happy that day. Possibly due to my bangs, not sure. This background is very appropriate because we lived in Guam at the time. And though it seems a little odd, it is better than the laser lights background that I was hoping to show you, but I couldn't find any photos of it. That was 3rd grade I think. But I am sure you remember it. It was very popular and looked like this. Sidenote about my uniform badge: I know the talent pool is very limited on an island like Guam, but no graphic designers? I am sure a high school kid could make a better badge than that.
This is fifth grade and more along the lines of what I was expecting from Joshua's photos. A generic background that there is nothing really wrong with specifically and poor interior lighting.
My only disappointment with Joshua's photos is no class photo. I know they aren't the best, but I value having mine. I started scrapbooking in 4th grade and never stopped (thanks for the scrapbook for Christmas of 1987, Mom. I had never heard of it before and it definitely has changed my whole life), though I have never been about making it pretty, and now I do digital. But in my fifth grade handwriting (disappointingly not that different from my 35-year-old handwriting) I wrote everyone's name down: Mrs. Cheeley, Michelle, Jennie Z, Aracely, Terrel, Jessica, Holly, Brent, Veronica, Shannon, Mrs. Ross (Student Teacher). Lori, Norman, Lisa Sharkey, Jennie P., Lisa Semo, Gisel, Rene, Melissa (heart by her name because she was my best friend), Mindy. Chris, Steve (heart by his name because I had a crush on him), Jose, Jennifer, Me, Stephanie, Tyree, Willie, Greg, Ramon, Ben, and William.

This class was a big year for me. It was the most diversity I have had in a class, which is a great experience and one I wish my kids would have, but probably won't unless we move. And this was the best teacher I ever had and probably one of the worst schools. I remember all that and lots of stories about almost every one of the kids (the way the school was, you got promoted together so almost all these kids were also in my class in 6th grade. Just a couple moved and we added I think 1 or 2)  in this photo just from looking at the picture. Actually I am pretty sure I could have come up with almost every name without the label in the scrapbook. I doubt Joshua will have that strong of memory of his preschool class. I don't of mine. I am not sure I remember a single kid from it. But I still wish he had a class picture.

2 comments:

  1. That is amazing (and not surprising) that you would be able to remember everyone's names even if you hadn't labeled them. Your class really was diverse- maybe it's just where I have lived, but it seems that a lot of schools now are either one race or another and not really mixed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it was because we were California at the time. It was a very diverse area.

    ReplyDelete